PlayMakers takes audiences into the darker reaches of the forest with two tales of magic and transformation in the theater’s annual rotating repertory event with Into the Woods and A Midsummer Night’s Dream Nov. 1 to Dec. 7.
Into the Woods is a multiple Tony Award-winning musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book by James Lapine. The show was originally directed on Broadway by James Lapine with orchestrations by Jonathan Tunick.
Into the Woods is paired with A Midsummer Night’s Dream reputed to be the theater’s first “fairy tale.” Shakespeare’s lyrical comedy weaves together a trio of stories set in a magical wood. During the course of a moonlit evening, four young lovers escape to the forest on a fantastic adventure, changing them forever.
Special events will include:
- Oct. 13, 6 p.m.: a discussion with the directors and cast at McIntyre’s Books, Fearrington Village, Pittsboro;
- Oct. 22, 6:30 p.m.: “The Vision Series-Directors in Conversation,” a behind-the-scenes preview with directors Haj and Cooper, in the Paul Green Theatre.
- Nov. 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7: preview performances at 7:30 p.m.;
- Nov. 8: opening day performances with Woods at 2 p.m. and Dream at 7:30 p.m.;
- Nov. 11 (Woods) and 18 (Dream): all-access performances for attendees with special needs, with sign language interpretation and audio description;
- Nov. 12 and 30 (Woods) and 19 and 23 (Dream): free post-show discussions with the creative team;
- Nov. 13, 6 p.m.: “Table Talk: A Journey Inside Sondheim’s ‘Into the Woods’,” an evening of dinner, drinks and conversation at the Rizzo Conference Center in Chapel Hill. The event pairs a four-course meal with stimulating conversation exploring fairy tales, the meaning of wilderness, magic and producing the musical. Tickets are $80. Pre-registration is required, call (919)962-1544.
- Nov. 22 (Woods) and 23 (Dream): open captioned performances; and,
- Dec. 6 (Woods) and 7 (Dream): free post-show “Mindplay” discussions sponsored by the North Carolina Psychoanalytic Society.
Come see Into the Woods and A Midsummer Night’s Dream at PlayMakers November 1 – December 7. For tickets, call 919.962.PLAY (7529) or visit our website.