Along with a host of engagement and education events programmed around each of our nine productions, PlayMakers will present its first sensory friendly performance in the 20/21 Season, with the goal of welcoming audiences with sensory sensitivities, autism spectrum disorders, or other disabilities.
In addition, when ordering tickets over the phone, we encourage patrons to mention any accessibility needs to our Box Office Manager or other ticketing representatives. The Box Office can be reached at 919.962.7529
Upcoming Sensory Friendly Performances
Akeelah & the Bee: April 17, 2021 at 2:00pm
What is a Sensory-Friendly Performance Like?
While PlayMakers strives to make all performances accessible, sensory-friendly performances are specifically designed to create a performing arts experience that is welcoming to all families—including children and adults with autism spectrum disorders or other disabilities create sensory sensitivities.
Sensory-friendly performances include:
- Lower sound level, reduction of loud or startling sound.
- Reductions in or elimination of flashing or strobe lights.
- House lights remain on at a low level during the performance.
- Audience members are free to talk or move during the show, including leaving their seats during the performance.
- Designated space for standing and/or movement, as well as quiet area.
- Fewer tickets sold for that performance.
- Extra support from trained staff and volunteers.